Thursday, July 17, 2008

How To Import IXF Files into DB2

This was an easy one to do. I volunteered to help some people at the office and they mistakenly thought I was a "DB2 expert" despite my re assuring them that I find the job of "DBA" a sinecure, that I don't see it as a compliment and that even if I did I am not a DB2 expert.

Step 1 : Open Control center

Step 2: Specify the control center view (Advanced maybe)
Step 3: open tables folder from an existing db (into which you are importing the ixf file)
Step 3: open tables from an existing db, right click and import "Create from Import" (select that)

Step 4: The import table window ought to pop up

Step 5: Go to import file and click on the "..." and the import file view ought to pop up

Step 6: The error messages field (see illustration) says : Create an error messages file and point to it or have the error messages field point to some text or log file (I just created a log.txt and pointed to it)

Step 7: Select this created error file
Step 8: You may have to enter the table name

Step 9: When OK button highlights you are ready to import and you do!


Pretty straightforward; everyone was so grateful ;I was immediately hailed and congratulated but I was slightly indignant. Unfortunately IBM makes it rather complicated (unlike in mysql or sqlserver 2000) Instead of figuring this out should not the faculties of men be engaged in defeating disease, hunger, inefficient (antiquated) laws, precepts, superstitions and traditions? should not it be engaged in rolling amongst wildflowers upon verdant hills (preferably with an attractive beloved)? Why so many deserts? Why so many hardened brutes? I bet the coal miners of the industrial era ( even today) think that . Yet do none have the courage to confront this? to edify and liberate the working classes?

1 comment:

Tuno said...

Is it possible to import multiple ixf files at once? I have like 93 to import.

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts